Minutes from the October 16, 2014 Planning
Tucson High School 55th Reunion Committee
Fran Tegarden Johnson
Robbie Phillipson Borth
Linda Navarro Rincon
Bette Sacherson Allen
Onofre Norton Schnack
Zia/Jane Chambers Bishoff
Sandy Padias McLaughlin
Dottie Wielang Rowley
Diane Dennis LaVetter
Joe Molina (THS1966)
The group met for lunch in the restaurant of the Sheraton on
Grant on Thursday, October 16, 2014.
Paul began the meeting at 1:05 pm by welcoming those in
attendance. He introduced Joe Molina, guest from the THS
class of 1966 to the meeting.
Joe is working on his 50th and traveled
from Washington, DC to attend. Joe thanked the group
for the welcome.
The prepared agenda began with the status of hotel
arrangements. Gary again encouraged everyone to make their
He indicated that there are no other changes to the
He reported that there is a 1-800 number as well as a
web site that should be utilized when making reservations. Paul will include
this information on the THS web site. Information will also
be on the first mailing. Gary reviewed the plans for Friday
and Saturday events.
Friday’s reception will be in the Oasis. The Oasis room is
quite nice and can easily hold 100 to 110 people, noting
that there is also outdoor space adjacent. A no host bar, a
bartender and hot and cold appetizers will be available. He added that
the Sabino room is for Saturday evening’s dinner/dance. A deposit has been
made; we have confirmed 32 hotel rooms, and all the rooms
are suites and will cost $109 per night. There is parking at
no charge. Menu
choices currently are beef, chicken, and vegetarian;
however, the final menu will be done when our reservations
come in; however, we need to provide numbers for vegetarian
and possibly gluten free dishes within a 60 day notice. The hotel will
tag the dishes accordingly.
Gary also reported that there is no equipment charge. Gary also noted that
there is no bar guarantee on Friday. Gary will also
follow-up with the hotel regarding the signed contract.
It was also noted that Sandy Eckburg Thomas has
agreed to provide cakes and cookies for the hospitality room
as she has done in the past.
The times for Friday are 6pm to 10 pm, Saturday is 6
pm to 12 midnight.
Fran noted that the first postcard mailings (Save The Date)
will be sent at the end of October. Fran noted that
Robbie and Bette are doing this at Fran’s house. The postcards will
contain as much reunion information as possible. She added
that this is also the best way of tracking any address
changes for the registration packet that will be mailed in
Dottie reported that based on anticipated 150 attendees, the
committee reviewed all the proposed and submitted costs and
anticipated expenditures, the committee presented the costs:
$70 per person for both Friday and Saturday nights. The individual cost
for Friday only would be $35.00 and $40.00 for Saturday
only. A sum will
be retained for the next reunion. Discussion ensued,
the attendees felt the amounts to be quite reasonable and a
motion was made, seconded and passed unanimously to accept
the recommendation. The committee thanked the Budget
Committee for their diligence and hard work.
As the meeting continued, Paul referred the group to the TV
and the videos playing.
He added that he has compiled ‘hundreds’ of these
videos and will have them ready for Friday and Saturday. The music and
artists are from our era.
The group felt that this would be very enjoyable. The
audience can listen and/or dance. Paul also noted that
he has put together another video of the 50th
reunion….both videos will be available for both nights. Patricia also
added that she has copies of all of our cheer songs, alma
mater, etc . She
has agreed to make copies and have them available. Also, Sandy and
Patricia are working on the entertainment as well.
Jane Chambers Bishoff gave her report. The group agreed with
her recommendations, the group was assured that the costs
will be covered.
Jane has requested 13 rounds of 8 or 10 for Friday and
Jane also recommended that we provide ‘party favors’. The cost is minimal. She also noted that
orders and costs will depend on the number of registrations
also assured the group that there will be time for her to
She described to the committee the proposed table
Sandy Padias McLaughlin also presented a metal T, made by
her family, which could also be used. Jane agreed
that the T’s would be placed on the registration table. At the
conclusion of Jane’s report, there were many volunteers
willing to help Jane and her group.
Butch brought the 50th reunion banners that he
has stored since the since the last reunion. Onofre will follow up
to see if the number 50 could be altered to 55 reunion.
Paul will requests everyone to bring their own cameras and
take their own pictures to be sent in and used to make
portraits for everyone attending. He will include
this information on the web site.
Master of Ceremony
Butch Farabee has agreed to continue as MC. He added that he has
kept notes of all the previous reunions and together with
Paul will prepare a tentative agenda of the night’s events
Butch also asked about some type of memorial. There was discussion. The group
agreed that having an ‘In Memory Of’ printed sheet available
at each table setting would be appropriate. Paul indicated
that he has the list.
The group had previously agreed to not print a mini-annual
for the week-end but to do it electronically. Paul reported that
there will be a directory/listing sent to those with email
This issue is resolved.
Marilyn Ash Tarrant has agreed to prepare the name tags. It is noted
with great appreciation that Marilyn continues to be
responsible for this job.
Thank you, Marilyn. The materials have been purchased
and delivered to Marilyn.
A possible Sunday event is still being considered. The group felt that
the Shanty would be ideal, but also noted that parking might
be a problem.
Onofre and Gary volunteered to follow up. This event
would not be included in the Friday and Saturday costs.
It was noted that the first mailing would be in late October
and registration packet be sent the second week in January. Paul continues to
search for ways to announce the 55th reunion. He stated that some
of the original sites are either not ‘up’ or are not
announcing these events.
The Tucson Unified School District does have a web
site and Paul will follow up.
Other web sites, such as ‘IHeartTucson’ and ‘You Know
You’re From Tucson If…..’ will be checked.
Bette and Dottie are working on the registration table; the
tables will be draped and there will be decorations. Bette added
that several people have volunteered to help.
Gary suggested that the group agree to comp Paul’s hotel
has been our hard-working web master for many, many years. A motion was made,
seconded and passed unanimously to be responsible for Friday
and Saturday night hotel costs.
The group also felt that a follow-up reunion committee
meeting be set for February 26 at Midway Molina to check our
Paul added his appreciation for those attending and the
meeting was adjourned at 2:05pm.
Paul and Patricia were thanked for coming from Washington to
Diane Dennis LaVetter
August 28, 2014